Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wild Grass (2009)

Drama...I suppose, from eighty-eight-year-old French director Alan Resnais. A fifty-year-old (the actor looks at least seventy) married man finds a lost wallet belonging to a middle-aged female dentist and pilot (who's hair is the most interesting thing in this film). Upon returning it, he starts calling and writing her and generally acting like an asshole, which of course she finds irresistible. Look, I don't need everything spelled out for me, I don't need the characters to be likable, I just need events and behavior to make some fucking sense within the world the filmmaker is presenting. Everyone, and I mean everyone, in this movie acts as if they are out of their cotton-picking minds. It's been a long time since I've seen Resnais' "Last Year In Marienbad" (I also recall praying for that movie to end). Maybe it's my problem, I don't get him, and I don't get this. All I'll say is that I watched "RED", starring Bruce Willis, earlier this week and I'd prefer watching Helen Mirren mowing people down with a machine gun over one minute of this lofty nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment