Friday, January 7, 2011

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2010)

A pox on the studio executives who foolishly decided to dump this wonderful film straight onto video! Luckily, it didn't go unnoticed. Other critics have been singing it's praises, and scratching their heads as to why this didn't get a proper release. It stars Richard Gere who takes in a stray Akita puppy wearing a Japanese tag around it's neck. Soon the dog is walking to the nearby train station to greet Gere as he returns home on the evening train. A year or so later, Gere has a fatal stroke at work. The dog then proceeds to return to the station every day at five to wait for his master...for the next ten years. I cried like a baby, UGLY cry. Oh, and did I mention this is a true story! Directed with a gentle hand by Lasse Hallstrom, this is a rarity: A weepie with brains, and a G rated film that isn't necessarily for kids. I know you may be thinking "dog" and "G rating" and "straight to video" and rolling your eyes. Trust me. This reminded me a little of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (another movie that made me lose it at the end) in it's depiction of pure devotion.

1 comment:

  1. yes. my tears couldnt stop flowing. man this is such a beautiful movie. i love dogs and have a germanshepard.

    you are right about the foolishly exec.

    ReplyDelete