Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Countdown To Zero (2010)

By-the-numbers yet occasionally chilling documentary from director Lucy Walker about the likelihood of someone, either a government or a terrorist, detonating a nuclear bomb. Guess what? It's highly likely. The most alarming passage tells of a time in 1995 when we were almost, and I mean very nearly, wiped off the face of the earth. An event that makes the Cuban missile crisis look like child's play. It only didn't occur because Boris Yeltsin, against protocol and direct orders, for some unknown reason, didn't push the button that was sitting right in front of him. This film, like many other documentaries (The Cove, An Inconvenient Truth) lead me to believe that we are doomed. I was terrified for a while, stirring up fears of nuclear annihilation that I haven't experienced since elementary school. But then I figured, it might not happen, but probably will, fuck it. I want to have sex with Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment