Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shutter Island (2010)

I wasn't too excited to see this. The ads painted this as a hollow and flashy horror movie, and I haven't been impressed by Scorsese's recent output. I'm also not a big fan of Leo, he was incredible in Gilbert Grape, but nothing he's done since then has lived up to that performance. This, for me, is the best Scorsese picture since Age of Innocence (I know I'm probably in a minority liking that one). For the most part, I like his genre movies best: New York New York, After Hours, Cape Fear, Age of Innocence. And like the classic Hollywood directors he idolizes, he seems to relish the chance to screw around with established genres. It's interesting to see a director in his late sixties having so much fun. He throws every oogey-boogey trick at us, coherence or good taste be damned. As far as DiCaprio, he's very good, and he's matched or surpassed by every cast member, the performances are all excellent, or at least enjoyable in a hammy way. Maybe now that Scorsese has finally won his Oscar, he can stop trying to win one and just make dazzling, entertaining movies that people want to see.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! I loved it too -- You could tell Marty was having fun with this. And the cast is excellent all around.

    ReplyDelete