Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Road (2009)

A father and his 8 year old son starving to death and trying to outrun cannibals after the apocalypse. A nice evening's entertainment. Not nearly as arty or self-important as I feared, but I'm afraid just as bleak. Viggo Mortensen is not an actor who's face invokes far-away vistas, I find him rather constipated, with a voice that sounds remarkably like an American Dr. Strangelove. He does bring a haggard authenticity to his role. The child, Keri-Scott-David-Something-or-other, was quite good, an excellent crier. I find end of the world movies, and there seems to have been a lot lately, thoroughly depressing. How is this entertainment? I'd never want to see this again. A decent adaptation of a great book. Read the book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment