Monday, June 7, 2010

Let's Scare Jessica To Death.

A horror film from 1971 about a woman (Zora Lampert) and her husband (some guy) who leave the big city to start life anew on a farm. Green Acres it ain't, she's a recovering schizophrenic and he's bald. Along for the ride are two human dingleberries in the form of a made-for-tv hippie friend (some other guy) and this guitar strumming squatter (Mariclare Costello) who never blinks and always makes steak tartare for lunch. This mysterious squatter happens to be in a photograph from the 1800s that hangs in the house but nobody seems to notice that it's CLEARLY her. You can probably guess that she's a ghost or vampire or some such unholy thing. I would've stuffed that guitar right up her ass the second she started playing folk music.

Even though I saw this last night, I don't remember much. Zora Lampert is a man, her voice is deeper than Iggy Pop's. The photography is a little fuzzy. The acting is a cut above, for sure. There are a couple of creepout moments in this, one in particular is a scene in an attic where a shadow appears and is not remarked upon, I didn't even notice it, until Andrew said "did you see that?" and played it back.

A friend recommended this to me, saying that I was "of a certain age" and would therefore find it scary. His argument is that people in their twenties think that "Saw" is a horror movie. If I had seen this as a child it would've scared the shit out of me. I prefer "the creeps" to shocks or gore, and this one has it's eerie moments. I'd recommend this, but with a caveat, adjust your expectations.

3 comments:

  1. This film scared the shit out of me as a kid. Hell, commercials for scary movies scared me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commercial they televised for "Magic" is scarier than the movie. Reportedly, they showed it during prime-time, and NBC got so many calls from angry parents of sleepless children that they pulled the ad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed Mr. Fun Fact.

    ReplyDelete