Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Box.

This knocked me out. I won't spoil the plot, but it's derived from a Richard Matheson story called "Button, Button" about a box with a button atop it. A couple is told if they push the button, they will receive a million dollars; however, someone they do not know will die. This looks and feels like no film you're likely to see. I think director Richard Kelly is incapable of composing an ugly or ordinary shot. There is a grace and elegance that brings to mind the modernist beauty of Antonioni and Kubrick, but also something new that I haven't seen in other directors. While not necessarily a thriller, this film has more eerie moments than any thriller I've seen in years. Beautifully staged, unsettling images that sear your eyeballs. There is an effortless, serene tension in every scene. The first hour of this is drenched in dread, enough to make M. Night Shyamalan look like a hack amateur. Kelly has in the past sacrificed coherence for style and texture, but not here, perhaps because he had strong source material. I didn't even panic when the plot started taking outrageous turns near the end. I hope I'm not overselling this, but I thought this was incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this one. Beautifully written, Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M Night makes M. Night look like an amatuer hack. And overselling it? I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete