Monday, October 24, 2011

The Vanishing (1988)

Famous Dutch thriller I've managed to avoid all these years. It was a big hit in the U.S. when it was released, even spawning a Hollywood re-make starring Jeff Bridges (I haven't seen that one). A young, bickering married couple take a road trip from Amsterdam to Paris, and halfway there, at a crowded campsite/rest stop, the wife disappears. There is reason to believe she was forcibly abducted, and it takes nearly five years for the husband to catch up to the perpetrator, who turns out to be an unassuming family man. Meh...it was okay. I expected more from this. It's beautifully shot, but rather boring, aside from the unsettling last scene. From what I've heard, the American version is more conventional and has Hollywood-style catharsis. I gotta say this might have worked better if the ending weren't so "European".

No comments:

Post a Comment