Monday, September 5, 2011

My Dog Tulip (2010)

Animated feature for adults based on J. R. Ackerly's memoir about his fifteen year relationship with his dog, a very naughty German Shepherd. The role of Ackerly is voiced by Christopher Plummer, who describes the dog's bowel movements and anal sacs again and again in vivid detail. The hand drawn animation, by director Paul Fierlinger, is unconventional and very "home made" looking (in a good way). I'll give this points for avoiding the "cutesy-poo" traps and anthropomorphism, but this does go on. Even at an hour and twenty minutes, it felt stretched. I guess you have to be a dog person to really enjoy this. I like dogs, they are cute and I am prone to displays of affection towards other people's dogs. But if I wanted to handle feces, be vomited upon, and get two hours of sleep a night, I might as well buy a baby (filthy little beasts). All the leg humping, shit scooping, anal gland emptying, midnight barking aspects of dog ownership is on display here. Cat people beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment