Thursday, June 16, 2011

The King's Speech (2010)

By now, anyone who reads this blog (all six of you) have either seen this, or have no intention of seeing it. George VI had a stammer, it was WWII, some Australian guy helped his stammer, Oscars all around! Colin Firth can produce real tears, a rarity for most male actors. They are probably tears of gratitude for landing this role, for he finally gets a chance to command the screen (he's usually the milquetoast off to the side or the loser in a love triangle). Helena Bonham-Carter comes up empty once again. Geoffrey Rush is likable as always. I was resistant going in, this is such obvious Oscar bait, and there's lots of showy and distracting camera work. But I gave in, I let myself be manipulated. Much like a visit to a chiropractor. I suspect the positive effects will wear off in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put. Did you like him in "A Single Man?" I loved him in "Main Street"--he did a great G.W. impersonation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that movie left me a little cold. Isherwood is a great writer, but it's all internal monologue. Kind of hard to translate that to screen. As for Firth, he was a little too self-pitying, I would have like him a little more heroic, or at least "serenely resigned". Came off as morose, I think he had trouble with the character.

    ReplyDelete