Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dogtooth (2010)

Oh my God this fucking movie. An earth-shattering achievement from Greek writer/director Yorgos Lanthimos, it tells the story of a married couple who keep their own children prisoners in their home well into adulthood, and completely shut out the outside world. Unlike almost anything I've ever seen, it's as if Michael Haneke made a Jim Jarmusch film. I've rarely seen a movie that juggles humor, horror, and beauty so effortlessly. The visuals are gauzey and elegant (Lanthimos curiously cuts the heads off people in many of his compositions, as if it were a photograph taken by a small child). The performances are so committed it can make you squirm. This is so sure-handed that at one point, there is a tribute to Jennifer Beals in "Flashdance", and it gave me a lump in my throat. It's so good and so challenging that for the life of me I can't figure out how this got a nomination for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. Love it or hate it, you're not likely to forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment