Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mother (2009)

A phenomenal Korean film about a simpleton who's accused of murder and his possessive mother who goes to hell and back to prove his innocence. Starring the astounding Kim Hye-Ja as mother, and directed by Bong Joon-Ho, who's also responsible for the hit monster movie "The Host." I feel as if I've been shaken and slapped around for two hours. There is, well, so much stuff going on, all the time, that I was grateful I didn't see this in the theater and that I could hit pause when nature called. The perfect blend of comedy and drama, all staged, acted, filmed, and pieced together with ease and elegance, without ever being pretentious. The amount of fun and heartbreak in any given scene could fill an entire movie, and there is so much cinematic detail it could make your head spin. This isn't for everybody, the characters are not people you'd ever want to be in actual contact with. But for all that, who's to say my mother, or yours, wouldn't do the same, or more? Fucking great.

No comments:

Post a Comment