Thursday, May 27, 2010

House of the Devil

Creepy low budget horror films are my most vivid movie memories from childhood. That, and Blue Lagoon, but that's another story (Christopher Atkins in his loincloth, I could write a book) House of the Devil tries to replicate the eerie unease of a movie like "When a Stranger Calls." Creepy is key, for the ones that truly made an impact on me were ones that kept your asshole clenched for eighty minutes, as opposed to arbitrary shocks. This flick has a great slow-burn, it seeps into your bones. It takes place in the early eighties (in order for the plot to work there couldn't be cell phones) not only that, but it looks as if it were filmed in the early eighties, from the block yellow opening credits to the high-key lighting. A college student tries to make some extra money by taking a babysitting job at a big house in the middle of the woods. When she arrives, none other than Tom Noonan opens the door (I would have turned around right there, an effortlessly frightening actor) She spends the night watching tv, listening to music (The Fixx's "One Thing Leads to Another" is used to great effect, never has that song been so dread-inducing) Even the mundane task of ordering a pizza has a strange unease. Not much happens, but you're oddly riveted because the filmmakers have successfully created a mood. There is a moment of violence halfway through the movie that is unexpected and completely shocking. The last ten minutes are a bit frantic, I won't spoil it, I'll just say it's in keeping with what you would see in a b-horror film from the late seventies. This house is a very very very fine house.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm you make me want to see this. I love "creepy" as apposed to "BOO!"
    Italian horror is my fave. Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci kinda stuff. great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review--cannot believe you found this film. We saw it on MTV and they were actually advertising the sale of DVDs and VHS copies of it. It kept me creeped out 'til the bad stuff started happening and then it turn cult funny. Creepy opposed to "suspense" w/ arbitrary shocks--you discuss that really well and it helps to understand why some movies really work and some don't so well. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kenchan13, I don't mean to be mean, but when i read your "I love 'creepy' as opposed to 'boo'," and then your next sentence you praise Argento, well, it made me laugh out loud. But at least you like stuff most people have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete